An elderly farmer who was at risk of prosecution after being the victim of a major fly-tipping incident has been rescued through a public fundraising campaign which raised £50,000 in just three days.
A farmer in his 80s from Hertfordshire was legally responsible for removing 200 tonnes of waste left on his land near St Albans.
Although he had done nothing wrong, he had been charged an estimated £40,000 to £50,000 for cleaning costs, which he said he could not afford.
The incident comes amid increased national attention to waste crime, with the Environment Agency recently unveiling drones, laser mapping and new digital screening tools in a major crackdown aimed at stopping illegal activity before it begins.
The garbage dumped at a farm in St Albans, which includes toxic waste as well as roofing materials, bathroom and kitchen equipment and household items, has been rotting in the field since last summer. It has not been deleted even after more than half a year.
After the article was published in a national newspaper, ordinary citizen Archie Ford, from near Salisbury, Wiltshire, started a crowdfunding campaign with a target of £45,000.
By February 18, just three days after the campaign launched, donations had soared to over £50,000. More than 1,600 people contributed.
“We are absolutely amazed by the support we have received,” said the farmer, who requested anonymity.
He added: “A big thank you to Archie for starting the campaign and to everyone who donated.”
He said he had received quotes ranging from £40,000 to nearly £50,000 for the cost of removing the waste.
The farmer also confirmed he had been awarded a further £3,000 through the Hertfordshire Police and Crime Commissioner’s Fund.
Mr Ford said he was shocked to learn that farmers could be held legally responsible for removing illegally dumped trash.
“I couldn’t believe it when I read that this farmer could be prosecuted if he were the victim of a crime,” he said.
After learning about the issue, he described the situation as “an outrageous and huge injustice.”
“I have great respect and admiration for farmers,” he added, saying the response showed how much the story resonated with the public.
The NFU said fly dispersal costs the agricultural industry tens of millions of pounds each year through clean-up costs, environmental damage and damage to wildlife.
In a recent House of Lords debate, colleagues warned that waste crime costs the entire economy more than £1 billion a year, and said fly-tipping was “out of control”.
The union is calling on authorities to work more closely together to secure more arrests and convictions, along with tougher penalties that reflect the true impact of dumping in the countryside.
It also calls on the government and the waste sector to raise awareness of householders’ legal responsibilities, and calls for a simpler reporting system so victims only have to report an incident once.
The fundraising page will be open until March 18th, with farmers asking that any money raised beyond the cost of clearing the land be used to help other fly-tipping victims.
