The report was released as police widen their investigation, including questioning the former prince’s high protection team.
listen to this article4 minutes
information
Published February 21, 2026
The British government is considering new legislation that could remove former prince Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor from the line of succession to the throne, according to reports.
British officials told the BBC on Friday, on condition of anonymity, that a decision could be made after a police investigation into the former prince’s ties to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein concludes.
Recommended stories
list of 4 itemsend of list
The BBC reported: “The move will come after the ongoing police investigation concludes.”
British Prime Minister Keir Starmer’s government will “consider introducing such legislation as soon as the police investigation is complete” regarding Mountbatten-Windsor, who is currently eighth in line to the British throne, the British Press Association News Agency said.
Mr Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested on Thursday, his 66th birthday, on charges of misconduct in office related to his friendship with Mr Epstein. He was detained for 11 hours before being investigated and released.
A YouGov poll conducted after Thursday’s arrest showed 82% of respondents thought he should be removed from the line of succession to the British throne.

King Charles had already stripped his brother Mountbatten-Windsor, son of the late Queen Elizabeth II, of his royal titles and banished him from his home at Royal Lodge in Windsor, Berkshire. Charles also made it clear that the law should take its proper course and that the police have his full support and cooperation.
On Friday, police continued to search Mountbatten-Windsor’s former home, appearing to intensify their investigation with a focus on former members of the Prince’s secret protection unit and what they may have witnessed.
British public angry over disgraced former prince’s arrest
The Metropolitan Police announced on Friday that it had identified and contacted former and current security guards who may have worked closely with Mr Mountbatten-Windsor.
“They are asked to consider carefully whether anything they have seen or heard during their time on duty may be relevant to the ongoing investigation and to share any information that may be of use to us,” police said in a statement.
“We continue to appeal to anyone with new or relevant information to come forward. All allegations are taken seriously and, as with any matter, any information received will be assessed and investigated where appropriate,” police said.
British police had previously investigated claims that Mountbatten-Windsor’s protection staff had overlooked Epstein’s visits to his private island. Police say they have not yet confirmed any wrongdoing by the security guards.
Mountbatten-Windsor has denied any wrongdoing regarding Epstein, a convicted sex offender who took his own life in a New York prison in 2019.
In 2022, Mr Mountbatten-Windsor settled a civil suit in US court brought by the late Virginia Giuffre, who accused him of sexually abusing her as a teenager at a facility linked to Mr Epstein, for a reported 12 million pounds ($16.2 million).
Giuffre, who took her own life last year, claimed she had sexual relations with Mountbatten-Windsor during an orgy with underage girls on Epstein’s island in the Caribbean.
Public anger has grown in Britain in recent months following a series of revelations about her relationship with Epstein.
Police launched the investigation after claims Mr Mountbatten-Windsor shared confidential information with the pedophile financier between 2001 and 2011, when the former prince was Britain’s trade envoy.

