Passengers pass through the TSA pre-screening entrance at Terminal 1 at Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport on Wednesday, February 1, 2017. (Armando L. Sanchez/Chicago Tribune/Tribune News Service via Getty Images)
Armando L. Sanchez | Chicago Tribune | Getty Images
The Department of Homeland Security on Sunday suspended the TSA PreCheck and Global Entry security programs that expedite airport security checkpoints, citing the partial government shutdown.
The move comes as the northeastern United States braces for a major winter storm that could affect air travel for several days.
The suspension went into effect at 6 a.m. ET Sunday, according to DHS.
“TSA and CBP are prioritizing general travelers at airports and ports of entry and suspending ceremonial and special privilege escorts,” DHS Secretary Kristi Noem said in a statement.
According to the agency’s 2024 tally, TSA PreCheck has more than 20 million active members.
In August 2025, The New York Times reported, citing a TSA spokesperson, that “34% of passengers screened at airport checkpoints were PreCheck members.” The program is available at more than 200 U.S. airports, the paper said.
The suspension of the TSA PreCheck and Global Entry security programs is the result of a partial government shutdown that began on February 14 after members of Congress failed to reach an agreement to fund DHS.
Ahead of the East Coast blizzard, airlines canceled more than 6,000 flights through Monday and waived cancellation and change fees at airports stretching from Virginia to Maine.
The move, which was harshly criticized by travel industry insiders, comes just months after last year’s federal government shutdown affected air travel and led to a drop in bookings, executives said.
“A4A is deeply concerned that with the suspension of TSA prescreening and the Global Entry program and another government shutdown, the traveling public will once again be used as a political football,” said Chris Sununu, CEO of Airlines for America. The group represents american airlines, delta airlines, southwest airlines, united airlines and other major carriers.
He added: “This announcement was made at very short notice to travelers, giving them little time to plan and is particularly worrying at a time when air travel is experiencing record increases.”
The fall government shutdown was the longest on record, costing the travel industry and others $6.1 billion, the group said. Approximately 6 million travelers were affected by the disruption.
The U.S. Travel Association, which represents major hotel chains and many other companies in the industry, called DHS’s move “deeply disappointing.”
“We are disgusted that over the past 90 days, Democrats and Republicans have used air traffic controllers, the TSA, CBP, and the entire travel experience as a means to achieve their political goals,” the statement said.
